Thursday, August 9, 2012

Petitions and Why I Avoid Them




Don't get me wrong I'm not living in Lala land where discrimination never occurs. I know it does and I'm sure many petitions are valid but you have to remember it is only one side of a story without both sides you really don't know the whole story. I know things are not black and white there is a lot of gray and their are always exceptions and extreme cases that need to really be looked at where the status quo wont fit.

Here's my example from clear out in left field, A person puts a petition up against oh lets say a concert venue. The letter is full of feeling and emotion saying how they went to see their favorite band play and were so excited but when they got to the door they were denied entry by staff. They claim it was because they have a disability, everyone jumps on board signing the petition that the person should have been let in and some compensation should be made. You with me so far? Finally the public hears from the venue itself. It comes out the person had a ticket for the following night's performance and that is why they were denied admission. 

  OKI know my example is a bit extreme but you get the point. You never really know what the situation is unless you can see all the documents and evidence from both sides of the story. Just remember it's easy to claim lots of things against a party who legally can not respond to allegations due to privacy laws.

1 comment:

  1. Yep, you nailed it. Too many times a petition is hastily put together without knowing all the facts. It's too easy to jump on the bandwagon without having full disclosure.

    ReplyDelete