Tuesday, June 28, 2011

What Are You Sorry For?

The one thing I cannot get used to is people's reactions when they hear your child has Autism.  The most common I get is but he doesn't look like it. Still don't know what one with autism is supposed to look like, I've decided I'm going to start answering and you don't look like a idiot see how they like that.
The very close second comment is I'm sorry. What the heck are you sorry for. While yes he does struggle with some things this is not a death sentence. Given a magic pill to fix it, really I don't know what I would do and that's not an option so no since in going over that can of worms. Maybe it's because I have had worse options on the table.
This is the child who is not supposed to be here. Let me go back a little and explain, anything and everything that could go wrong in my pregnancy and delivery did. Long story short ended with emergency c-section me in icu and not having a clue what had happened.  Finally the next day a med student asked if I knew what happened when I said no he said to put it bluntly 5 more min and we would have lost him 10 min and you both were gone that's how close you guys came.
So when you say I'm sorry to someone first off your really not second you don't know where they have been.
Even with the struggles he faces.  I'm not sorry. There's nothing to be sorry for. He is a kid and deserves to be treated as one.

No comments:

Post a Comment