Friday, April 29, 2011

Literally

Yesterday after dinner we asked the kids to pick up the rocks in the backyard so it can be mowed.  Easy enough right.  The three of them (Roger, Lucy, and Porkchop) went out and started picking up rocks, sticks, toys, pretty much anything that could get thrown by a lawn mower.  now the two little ones stopped once all the loose stuff was picked up (thats all they needed to do) but not Roger.  I went out to check and see how they were doing and he is on his knees in the yard doing something this is the conversation that followed:

Me: What are you doing?

Roger: Picking up rocks like you said.

Me: OK why are your hands covered in dirt?

Roger: I have to dig the rocks up.

Me: why are digging up rocks?

Roger: you told me to pick up the rocks.

Me: I ment the loose ones, you don't have to dig them up.

Roger: But you said ALL the rocks that means these too.

He just kept digging up rocks once you get him started there's no stopping him and really he wasn't hurting anything.  But yes I need to remember next time pick up the loose rocks.  Wording is everything, Roger takes everything that is said literally so directions have to be very specific.

4 comments:

  1. Well I have to tell you that I am Rock picking fanatic! I would love to have someone around to help me sort through the rocks on my journies and then to stop me eventually. Because? I would get stuck forver sorting out all those beautiful stones :) I know this is not what you are talking about, I am just saying that sometimes there is so much beauty in things others find plain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Siv he could have spent hours doing it. It's not uncommon for me to find rocks in his pockets that he has picked up throughout the day. I think he likes the weight of them in his pockets

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casdok, all I could do was laugh. but hey I have no rocks in my backyard now. :)

    ReplyDelete