Some do not think awareness is important. I saw it is, even before my son was diagnosed I would have said the same thing as our kids and many adults are very misunderstood. In my classes at school alone Autism has been called mental retardation (not true, while the child may have mr autism alone does not cause it), a mental illness (also not true, so because someone thinks differently they are now sick), a personality disorder (also not true), and who knows what else is going to come out by the end of class.
- More children will be diagnosed with autism this year than with AIDS, diabetes & cancer combined
- Autism is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the U.S.
- Autism costs the nation over $35 billion per year, a figure expected to significantly increase in the next decade
- Autism receives less than 5% of the research funding of many less prevalent childhood diseases
- Boys are four times more likely than girls to have autism
- Autism is a lifelong condition.
- Autism affects all persons regardless of race, religion, economic status or politics.
- Every 20min a child is diagnosed.
World Autism Awareness Day is to inform the general public about the global health crisis of autism, stress the importance of early diagnosis and early intervention, and to celebrate the unique talents and qualities of individuals with autism. For more information visit http://www.worldautismawarenessday.org