Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Bone Marrow Donation Step 1: Registration

We have all heard about bone marrow donation and know how important it is. After spending time at children's with Roger and seeing kids who needed a transplant but waited to find a match only about 1% of all donors are ever matched I regiastared with DKMS. You can check them out at getswabbed.com, it is a very simple process you answer some questions online and they send you a kit. You swab the inside of your cheek and mail it back to them, where they will process and add you to the registry. It really is that simple. I registered last year, today I received the email that I am a possible match. Tomorrow I have to call them and go over some information about myself and they will tell me more about the process. I will be posting about the process here just so people can see the process from the donors point of view. Maybe if peoe can read about the process step by step from someone who has been there more people will sign up to be a donor. As for now I'm on step one the phone interview I guess you would call it and then off to the lab for further testing to make verify the match. I will admit it is all a little scary to me as I despise needles. To learn more about bone marrow donation visit

No comments:

Post a Comment