Thursday, December 13, 2012

Parenting & Religion

http://www.catholic-kids.com/





I follow Confessions of an Aspergers Mom (Facebook Page), she has two teenage boys on the spectrum so they have been where we are going.  She is a proud mom of her boys and you can feel the love in her writting.  She's also very real, it's not all butterflys and rainbows with her.  She tells it as it is no sugar coating anything.  One of the things she writes about on her page is her son Red's religious journey.  It's something he has chosen and she supports.  I have always admired this about her.  How she steps back and supports her sons journey but dose not push her own views on him.









http://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/c/catholic_school.asp
Promise I have a point here.  My oldest has expressed a intrest in recieving his conformation.  I was raised Catholic and left the church once I was old enough to make my own choice.  For me some of the Catholic doctrine is a hard pill to swallow.  Not saying they are wrong just not the right fit for me.  Anyone that knows me knows I am not a religious person.  My kids were baptized Catholic to make family members happy.  Roger went to Catholic school up until fifth grade.  The public schools were lacking so I put him in private. Other than school he has never really been exposed to church.  Sometimes we go with the inlaws but other than that it is just not something we have done as a family.



When Roger first brought up wanting to recieve his conformation honestly my knee jerk reaction was not only no but hell no.  This is where Confessions comes in.  I've been reading her posts about Red's journey and while it may not be what she would do she completely supports him in his quest for faith.  I say say may because I don't know what her beliefs are and don't want to say the wrong thing. Based on what I've read she would support him wherever his journey to God takes him, except maybe a cult she would probably draw the line there.

So the point being I have learned from others, just because I don't follow the doctriane and it is not right for me dose not mean it is the same for my son.  Roger needs to have the ability to have his own journey in religion without me pushing my beliefs on him.  So if he wants his conformation I will support his choice.  I will do what I can to help him.  If he decieds later no I really don't want to do this I will support him again. Part of the journey is finding out what you believe for yourself. Sometimes the hardest thing to do as a parent is to put our own belifes aside and allow our children to decied what they believe.  Now he comes and tells me he's moving to a commune in the hills with some crazy man I'm going to have to put my foot down.


No comments:

Post a Comment