First What is it?
"Anaphylaxis is a severe, potentially life-threatening allergic reaction. It can occur within seconds or minutes of exposure to something you're allergic to, such as a peanut or the venom from a bee sting.
The flood of chemicals released by your immune system during anaphylaxis can cause you to go into shock; your blood pressure drops suddenly and your airways narrow, blocking normal breathing. Signs and symptoms of anaphylaxis include a rapid, weak pulse, a skin rash, and nausea and vomiting. Common triggers of anaphylaxis include certain foods, some medications, insect venom and latex.
Anaphylaxis requires an immediate trip to the emergency department and an injection of epinephrine. If anaphylaxis isn't treated right away, it can lead to unconsciousness or even death." (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/anaphylaxis/DS00009)
We went to a friends house. Her son had graduated high school the day before and there were some leftover latex balloons. I didn't think anything of it when the kids grabbed a few and went in the other room and started popping them. They were having fun.
My throat started feeling weird and I was a little dizzy so I stepped out for a minute. I came back in and it got a little worse so I said I have to go outside I can't be in here. So we all went outside. We were there for maybe 5 min and I grabbed my husband and about pulled him over. the sore feeling and dizzy had progressed to not being able to breath, I was confused, anxious, and flush.
Husband at first didn't realize what was going on. He asked do you want me to call rescue. once I shook my head yes he knew oh shit this is bad. I was able to walk towards my house but collapsed in the driveway. I was still awake just not able to move anymore or talk. The response time for the squad was maybe 5min but that five min felt like hours to everyone.
I remember being put on the stretcher and a few things here and there but for the most part I don't have a clue. I know I got a IV, I know a ton of meds were use (I'm dreading this bill), I have to be on steroids, antihistamines and ativain for the next week while I ride the rest out. (the worst is over). They gave me a script for a new epipen because mine was so expired it couldn't be used. Of course the thing is $315 and they wonder why I didn't have a current one. We just can't afford it and do not have insurance so we kept putting it off. Of course wake up call we know I have to get one, I have to no ifs, ands, or butts. I could have died and a little shot may give me the few extra min I need for help to arrive.
My blood pressure never dropped mine went through the roof, my heart felt like it was coming out of my chest, the only way I could talk to anyone was to try and use my phone to type but little keys, not being able to breath, all the chaos going on it was hard.
Now we are left with explaining to Lucy what happened. That no it is not her fault. Add a new obsession making sure all late is out of the house.